Science teaches an understanding of natural phenomena. It aims to stimulate a child’s curiosity in finding out why things happen in the way they do. It teaches methods of enquiry and investigation to stimulate creative thought. Children learn to ask scientific questions and begin to appreciate the way science will affect their future on a personal, national and global level.
Our aims when teaching Science at St. Cross School are to enable children:
- To provide an appropriate and stimulating Science curriculum which encourages pupils to be interested in and make sense of the world around them and builds on from prior learning.
- To deliver activities which meet the needs of the National Curriculum, in a way that is appropriate to the needs of all pupils and which challenge and encourage them to fulfil their potential.
- To develop pupils’ scientific knowledge, understanding and investigating skills.
- To foster a positive attitude to scientific enquiry, building upon pupils’ natural curiosity.
- To provide understanding of a safe working environment, allowing pupils over time to take increasing responsibility for managing investigations and solving problems safely and independently.
- To encourage and develop the ability to work as an individual and as part of a group.
- To develop pupils’ abilities to explain and communicate their learning to others, using appropriate scientific language.
- To develop the awareness of the influence of Science in the world around them and foster a caring attitude towards their environment and living things.
Developing Experts is a complete curriculum programme that suits the needs of our children. At the start of every lesson, it explains key vocabulary that children will discover. The lessons are interactive and allow progression, not only through the unit of lessons, but within the lesson.
It provides a growing library of interactive, online lessons with practical investigations, handouts and assessment quizzes fully mapped against the National Curriculum.
Children can use the knowledge organisers to support their learning of knowledge, skills and vocabulary throughout each unit.
Lessons come with experts from university and industry and are narrated with unforgettable stories - told through stunning images and videos supporting the importance of Cultural Capital.
Science In EYFS
Developing Experts is used to support the teaching of Understanding of the World in EYFS. As with the rest of the school, Developing Experts is used and the learning is then incorporated into the continuous provision areas. The units are taught according to the children's interests during the week or to link with other topics being taught in the provision.