At Saint Cross we offer our children the opportunity to learn the violin, for more information you can contact the school office.
Fun Facts about the Violin
- You can burn 170 calories an hour while playing the violin.
- Popular composers of the violin are Johann Sebastian Bach, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Ludwig Van Beethoven. The most recent composers include Claude Debussy, Igor Stravinsky, Arnold Schoenberg and Bela Bartok.
- Niccolo Paganini, born 1782, is considered one of the greatest geniuses of the violin.
- Maxim Vengerov was four when he began playing the violin and is now thought to be one of the leading participants in the violin world.
- A violin gets it sound by either moving the bow across the strings causing them to vibrate or plucking the strings.
Modern violins are constructed with about seventy parts, including the belly, the back, inside blocks, inside lining, etc.