- Talk to your child about starting school and the fact that they will be leaving you but you will collect them.
- Teach your child to dress and undress.
- Teach your child to put their shoes on and take them off.
- Ensure that your child is used to going to the toilet independently and can clean themselves as necessary.
- Help your child to be more independent in all that they do, for example; ‘Try first...’, ‘Have a go...’, ‘If I show you then you could try on your own’.
- Read with your child on a daily basis
- Support them with their high frequency words so that they become a confident and fluent reader
- Offer them praise at every opportunity when discussing their progress at school
- NO always means NO– it is easier for your child if they know this before they start school.