In 1932 the Canons Regular of St Augustine moved into Hoddesdon and founded the parish.
In 1933 they called upon the Convent Sisters of Our Lady in Germany to help them further establish the parish. These pioneering Sisters were the first to provide Catholic education in the area and they immediately opened a fee paying convent school, St Cross Roman Catholic Primary School.
With the money that was raised from the school, some two years later in 1935 the Sisters built St Augustine's Catholic Primary School which was available to all as a non-fee-paying school. Both schools very rapidly became successful and the legacy of all of the hard work is St Cross & St Augustine’s Catholic Primary Schools today.
In 1958 the Augustinian canons left Hoddesdon and the Archdiocese of Westminster took over the parish and in 1968 the school changed its status to Voluntary Aided. The Sisters of Our Lady to whom we owe so much continued as Trustees of St Cross School until 1999 when the school was handed over to the Westminster Diocese.
The aspirations of the Sisters continue to inspire us to maintain high expectations and academic excellence founded on Gospel values.